Dear Arizona Greek Community,
The Fraternity & Sorority Programs staff believes in the Black Lives Matter movement. We stand against police brutality and call for radical, sustainable solutions that affirm the prosperity of Black lives. We cannot continue to operate in a country that is plagued by systemic racism, discrimination, and oppression.
Moving forward, we recommit ourselves to be better. Here is what you can expect from us as we head into the upcoming school year and beyond.
- We will prioritize money to educate all Greek students about historical and present racism in fraternity and sorority life.
- We will meet and talk with the UA police department to ensure all officers are trained to be members of our community, not just armed patrol.
- We will create targeted mental health programs to fight the harmful effects of racism.
- We promise to be advocates beyond our fraternity & sorority community. We believe systemic change is needed across the University of Arizona system.
- We dedicate our offices and spaces as a safe zone for all students of color who are in fear, distress, or simply need a place to go to feel safe. Please come talk to us. We are here for you.
- We support your protests. We will walk with you and stand by you.
- We believe learning is continuous and we will prioritize our professional development around the topics of equity, inclusion, and social justice.
It doesn’t end here. We know there are other things we can do. Moving forward, we promise ourselves to using our platforms to support the voices of the unheard and amplify the rallying cries for justice and equality.
With fraternal love and support,
Marcos Guzman, Assistant Dean of Students and Director
Amy Damron, Assistant Director
Carol Barnette, Administrative Assistant